Before you sign up to volunteer, please review the below guidelines. If you’re comfortable with the below, then please continue to the application form. The goal is still to expand this beyond cardmaking at some point – this is just where we are as of early 2023.
- Volunteers are asked to make and send an average of five cards every two months, which is 30 cards a year. This guideline is only to weed out people who don’t make any cards. No one is ‘fired’ for making less. Do what you can.
- Current organizations are listed on the website. Please check the site for guidelines and mailing instructions. Individual requests will never be posted publicly on the site to protect privacy.
- If you’re not sure where to get started with making cards, please visit the card-making suggestions page. Sign the cards in whatever way is comfortable for you: first and last name, first name only, “from a friendly neighbor”, etc.
- Please, please, please use the form to report cards you’re doing from home. (I will report cards made during group events). If you have issues with the form, it’s okay to email me because I don’t want your efforts to go unnoticed. This also ensures that other people can always be up-to-date with current efforts.
- Please report cards that are in progress. If you have a stack of cards in progress for a group, it’s great to report it before they are in the mail only so others can see what group hasn’t received anything for a while.
- I do try to limit email updates. When you do receive one though, please read it and reply when there’s a request for a reply. (When you receive your ‘welcome’ email from me, please add me to your safe senders list so I won’t hit your spam folder).
- Your suggestions for groups or individuals are always welcome. I have reached out to around a dozen Charleston nonprofits that I thought might benefit but most have not replied.
- If you want to host a get-together, I’m happy to help you coordinate that. I host them at the library occasionally.
And finally, thank you for your participation!